Re: Patch: improved magnetism

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@...> wrote:

> > but I have found
> > one bug, or rather unwanted feature:
> >

> Re: Magnetic, Parallel Track under the Mouse while drawing new track
>

> Magnus,
>
> I just checked in a fix that seems to work better now. For the
> parallel case, it snaps to the nearest end point of the track under the
> mouse, if that track is magnetic and we entered the track traveling
> parallel to it.
>
> Thanks for your your time testing, you did a nice job catching this
> problem, Magnus.
>

> Dick Hollenbeck
> SoftPLC Corporation
> http://softplc.com

Dick, I have done some testing and your latest fix improved the
magnetic function, but I think there is one detail left to fix:

On an old board I tested with 8 mil tracks and the grid on 20 mil,
making me have no grid points in the center of the old tracks. When
starting a track (delete old tracks ON) with the intention of making a
better way for a track, the cursor snaps to the center of a track and
I can move the cursor along the track making the cursor jump 20 mils
at a time, even there is no grid point in the center of the track.
This is good! When I have started to draw a track, I'd like the same
freedom to end my track anywhere in center of a track. Not just at the
track points. I can do this if I approach the track at some angel, but
not when I am in line with the track.

I did some work last week setting up the source and build
environments, and I plan to spend time testing and commenting new and
existing features for pcbnew. I am using pcbnew professionally and
this can be my first way to help out in the improvement process of
pcbnew.

// Magnus