xpm todo item, libkicad?

Dick,

I was looking at the todo list for something useful but simple that I
could take a quick look at, and wondered about this one:

"We should:
8 1) make a library out of ALL the xpm files, and
9 2) develop a simple header file which declares ALL of them
using conventional C/C++:
10 extern char * somename2_xpm[];
11 extern char * somename3_xpm[];"

There certainly is some oddness and overlap in the way the bitmaps are
handled. I was wondering if the answer to this might be to have a
library, not just for the bitmaps, but for all the other common code.
Obviously I'm thinking a shared one rather than a static one like we
already have (common.a), a libkicad.so which all the applications
could make use of. There are a number of places where the same code is
compiled more than once, or linked into several binaries, just crying
out to be refactored.

Otherwise the bitmaps are currently already in common and it'd just be
a matter of removing references to various individual header files
throughout the rest of the code. Unless I'm missing something about
the aim of this todo item. Either way I can have a look at this one,
just don't want to miss the point of what you were after.

Richard.

Follow ups