Fwd: Re: GPC licensing

Hi all,

find attached my correspondance with Toby Howard, licensing manager of the GPC
library.

Executive Summary:

- GPC will not be released under a GPL or compatible license.

- If we keep GPC in KiCad, we have to note in the software (not just in the
source code) that a separate license applies for part of KiCad.

- KiCad users must obtain a commercial license of GPC if they choose to use
KiCad with included GPC for commercial purposes, e.g. create a commercial
PCB.

Hence, keeping GPC would imply _serious_ licensing problems, far beyond just
being marked as "non-free".

I say we drop GPC as soon as possible or create a free and a non-free branch
of KiCad.

Jean-Pierre, could you please comment on this - I haven't heard anything from
you regarding this yet...

Best regards
Jonas Diemer
 --Boundary-00=_2tbIIq/v5XX2D3w Content-Type: message/rfc822;
name="forwarded message"