Re: Multipart components

OK, I found it. I wondered what "Common to Units" meant. And now I
know. Wouldnt it be more descriptive if it was called "Common to
Parts" instead?

Or a tool tip saying what it does?

Would a patch to change it too "Common to all Parts" and a tool tip
saying something like "When selected this element will be visible in
all parts." be acceptable? Cause I am happy to do it.

Also, what about my other suggestion of colouring global entities
different in the library editor for easy identification?

Stevo

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Steven Johnson <stevoj@...> wrote:

> OK, I have been looking at multi part components, and I see the
structure:

> /* Elements Graphiques */
> LibEDA_BaseStruct::LibEDA_BaseStruct( KICAD_T struct_type ) :
> EDA_BaseStruct( struct_type )
> {
> m_Unit = 0; /* Unit identification (for multi part per package)
> * 0 if the item is common to all units */
>
> in libclass.cpp
>
> Well this seems to indicate if m_Unit is something other than 0, the
element (pin, text, graphical object, etc) will be specific to a
particular part, and if it is 0, it is global to all parts of a
component. This is backed up by the contents of the component file.

> So far, so good.
>
> The problem I have is it is defaulted to 0 (no problem with this)
and I can't find anywhere where the m_Unit can be set to anything else
(the problem), to make an item a specific part of a component.

> Is there a function to do this in the program? Cause I can't find it.
>
> If not, I propose adding functionality to set this field.
> 1. A toggle for Component Global/part local placement of elements of
a part. Which controls what scope an element is placed as having.
> 2. A toggle (right click) that can make a element of a part global
to all parts, or local to the current part. So you can change it once
placed.
> 3. A different colour so one can visually distinguish global
elements from local elements. This would only be in the editor, in
the schematic they would all be one colour.

> What do you think?
>
> I haven't looked at implementing any of this, cause I am still not
sure the functionality isn't there. Any pointers would be appreciated.