Re: Re: Zone fill issue

Magnus Beischer wrote:
I guess that we have 2 separate speed problems here:
1) Generating the zone fill segments (done once for every zone)
2) Drawing the zone fill segments on screen (done all the time the
user move, zoom, redraw etc. on the screen.

Making changes that increase the drawing speed is not a good idea, but
I think a smarter sone fill algorithm could drastically speed up the
drawing on the screen. A question here for you Dick: If zone creation
time goes up by 20% and zone drawig on the screen goes down by 50%,
would you conider that to be an improvement? (if also generating
smother edges)

Magnus

Yes, that would be an improvement. The last time we talked about this, I mentioned the idea of using polygon fills from within PCBNEW to show zones. And to postpone the creation of the actual raster lines, (vertical and horizontal, instances of class ZONE, a class derived from TRACK) until gerber file export time.

Variations on this idea could be improvements, because then the PCBNEW use of zones would be more limited to the ZONE_CONTAINER instances. We all recognized that the visual presentation of the filled polygon used like this in some competing software tools did not always correctly present gaps around pads and such like the current raster lines do. This just reinforces the need to always look at the final gerbers in the gerber viewer anyway, and this is not a new need.

Is what you are thinking similar to this general scheme? If so, I suspect the numbers you offer of 20% and 50% are conservative, and actual results might make folks scream for joy.

And this is not to say that only my idea could make folks scream for joy. What do you have up your sleeve?

Dick