Re: "Close in" work in pcbnew

Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>>
>>> Jean-Pierre,
>>>
>>> Today I had some "close in" work to do in PCBNEW, while aligning some
>>> zone boundaries which were not on grid. I could not get the job done
>>> effectively without the following change to the zoom factors and zoom
>>> travel.
>>>
>>> Please advise again the problem with the 5 entry. Maybe that can be
>>> fixed, I'm game to help with it.
>>>
>> I'll take a shot at this one because I think it will be a bit easier for
>> me to explain without having to translate to English. I believe it has
>> to do with this bug <http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/10446#comment:1>.
>> Because the PCBNEW uses 10000 pixels to represent one inch, it doesn't
>> take a very large board to get into the coordinate range to cause this
>> problem. When the zoom setting is 0.5, the coordinates are scaled by a
>> factor of 2 making the problem more likely to occur. I know what you
>> are thinking, I don't have any devices capable of displaying 0x90000
>> pixels of resolution. However, any bugs in the clipping rectangle
>> calculations could allow for coordinates in this range to be passed to
>> wxDC even though they would be drawn off the client rectangle. In
>> wxGTK, this is not a problem except for drawing speed. In wxMSW, your
>> reaching for the hardware reset button. This is what JP was trying to
>> warn me about when I mentioned using wxDC to do the drawing instead of
>> the code in gr_basic.cpp. I am reasonably sure that if the clipping and
>> coordinate translation is handled correctly, coordinate values that
>> cause this bug would never get passed to wxDC. You should only ever
>> have drawing coordinates within the client rectangle. I still need to
>> verify that wxDC is the way to go. However, the wxMSW bug really needs
>> to be addressed. That being said, I originally had 0.5 as a zoom level
>> and didn't see any problems on wxMSW. I used the video demo to validate
>> the zoom code and I didn't see any issues when zoomed in to 0.5. I hope
>> this helps.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/10446
>

> Reminds me of the 90's when Microsoft would change APIs just to break
> competing code. Maybe it's still going on.

Ugh! I remember those days. I hope Microsoft has grown up over the
years but I won't hold my breath on that one. I'll give them the
benefit of the doubt until the wx developers figure out if the problem
is in wxWidgets or Windows. Then I'll beat them over head :)

> On Windows, I hereby revoke my offer to help fix the problem.

The only way I will help fix Microsoft's bugs is if they throw a lot of
money my way for all of the grief that they have caused me over the years.

Wayne