Re: Vector fonts

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@...> wrote:

> antialiasing in a gerber file?

Just because it is a gerber it must be NOT antialiased

> hinting in a gerber file?

Actually yes... while photoplotters work at 8000dpi (typical), silk screening is A LOT less, maybe even around 200dpi. So hinting should be done... also a lower resolution means less vectors to output.

> I did not say anything about system fonts. I said wxFonts. This is an

Reading http://docs.wxwidgets.org/stable/wx_wxfontoverview.html gives me the idea that there are still too much differences between platforms...

Also, under wxDC it says:
wxDC::DrawText

NB: under wxGTK the current logical function is used by this function but it is ignored by wxMSW. Thus, you should avoid using logical functions with this function in portable programs.

More and more platform incompabilities :((

> Your opinion is now known. I am having trouble getting my opinion
> understood.

If I get it correctly your opinion is to simply use OS support for the fonts... that could be OK for 'typical' applications but not for CAD (nor for typography :P:P)

Anyway, your plan should be something like:
- Get the font online (with wxFont)
- Render it on a backing store bitmap (using wxDC)
- On screen blit the bitmap, on plot rasterize it.

The intermediate bitmap is needed becausee Windows doesn't do XORed text (or so it says in the docs). If step 1) goes fine, all the rest should work...