Re: Import png, jpeg or svg or dxf ?

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@...> wrote:
> environment, are currently general or rich enough to support anywhere
> near 30% of what you might find in the SVG spec.
>
> However, were we to switch over to wxGraphicsContext first, then I think
> adding SVG support could actually lead to something worthwhile. In
> fact, one might argue that if we were to switch to wxGraphicsContext,
> that as we do so, we re-invent our graphic primitives to match those
> found typically in an SVG file, FIRST.

Oh, yes... then how do you represent a shaded fill in gerber? :D:D:D

Do not forget that wxGraphicsContext (whatever it does :P) is for screen only and MAYBE for built in printing, depending on the platform... for example you cannot represent transparency in Postscript, BY DESIGN (Adobe printers had a write-only framebuffer IIRC).

Sorry but a CAD user I really don't care of what I see on the screen if theplots (and EXPECIALLY the gerbers!) don't match... it is the plot that will be built!

And anyway we are not cloning Illustrator or Freehand...

I think that a simple bitmap (bilevel PNG for example) import would be useful for logos and such things (Eagle has the Altera logo in library, IIRC).
A simple scan conversion would generate an array of 'stripes', like the zone filler... line size would be a 'scale' factor to be specified; I could hack such a converter in little time, maybe as a contrib script would be useful.

If you need to import a jpg/svg/whatever, there are already a lot of tools around (ImageMagick for example).