Re: Libraries - files and components naming policy

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mateusz" <komorkiewicz@...> wrote:

> The most natural option would be:
>
> file name -> company name
> component name -> datasheet name (in my opinion small letters + numbers without spaces or '-' )
>
> the only problem is that it would lead to very big files for some companies (Xilinx, Freescale etc.)
>
> so maybe we should add name of family:
>
> company-base.lib (eg. analog-base.lib, atmel-base.lib) -> for devices without family
>
> company-family_name.lib (eg. analog-adc.lib, atmel-avr.lib) -> for devices whit family

But a lot of components have second (or third, or even fourth or fifth) sources. Sure, for some specialty items, like FPGAs, looking up Xilinx or Altera first might make sense, but not necessarily for glue logic, op amps, regulators. DB25 connectors, etc.