Re: Re: wxString.c_str()

2009/10/12 Dick Hollenbeck <dick@...>:
> Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> emmedics4 wrote:
>>

>>> --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@...>

>>> Indeed but wxChar is going to be wiped in new versions, i think Dick was talking taking in consideration a more long term approach: changing code style to enhance code longevity and issues tomorrow.
>>>

>>> Please take a look to:
>>> http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/overview_unicode.html#overview_unicode_pitfalls
>>> http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_string.html#conv
>>>

>> Thanks for the info.  Looks like we'll have to support the differences
>> between 3.X and 2.8.x strings for the foreseeable future.
>

> All the upcoming differences are well hidden in the new APIs except one,
> the one I identified:  wxString::Printf()
>
> And the best way of future-proofing the usage of wxString::Printf() is
> to use GetChars().
>
> I hope this email settles the issue.
>
> Dick

I only tag this onto the end of this conversation because it is
probably relevant, but SVN 2011 barfs on my PC whilst building with
the error:

[ 65%] Building CXX object common/CMakeFiles/common.dir/basicframe.cpp.obj
c:/MinGW/src/kicad/common/basicframe.cpp: In member function `void
WinEDA_BasicFrame::GetKicadHelp(wxCommandEvent&)':
c:/MinGW/src/kicad/common/basicframe.cpp:271: error: `GetChars' was
not declared in this scope
c:/MinGW/src/kicad/common/basicframe.cpp:271: warning: unused variable
'GetChars'
make[2]: *** [common/CMakeFiles/common.dir/basicframe.cpp.obj] Error 1
make[1]: *** [common/CMakeFiles/common.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

SVN 2010 did not have this problem.

Best Regards,

Brian Sidebotham.