Re: Re: Kicad libraries for pcbnew

--00151750e950817c2304764b7c7f Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

2009/10/19 stambaughw <stambaughw@...>

> --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <kicad-devel%40yahoogroups.com>, Dick
> Hollenbeck <dick@...> wrote:
> >
> > Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> > > Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> > >

> <<< snipped >>>
>
> > I am fearful of git for a number of reasons, one of which is that casual
> > windows builders would be tormented with installing git. Having to
> > install Cygwin, perl, bash, to run git, is a non-starter for most
> > Windows users, it is a main reason why I pushed so hard for CMAKE. I
> > hate Windows, hate it even more with Cygwin on it. Plus frankly, with
> > git, I think that we could easily fall into a trap of idolizing the
> > Linux project as "the right way to do everything". I don't want any
> > part of that.
>
> Dick,
>
> I thought you might find this interesting. I stumbled upon it while messing
> around with Bazaar. From the Bazaar documentation page <
> http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/latest/en/user-guide/installing_bazaar.html>:
> "Note: If you are running Cygwin on Windows, a Bazaar for Cygwin package is
> available and ought to be used instead of the Windows version". After a bit
> more digging, I found this: <
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/bzr/+spec/case-insensitive-filesystems>.
> It appears that Bazaar doesn't cleanly handle case insensitive file names.
> For developers using only windows, there is no issue. However, for those of
> us who switch between the two environments there may be issues unless you
> stick with the Cygwin version. Subversion seems to handle this fairly well
> as I have not experienced any problems switching between the two platforms.
>
> Wayne

SVN handles it well, as NTFS used now on most Windows computers is case
sensitive filesystem. The only difference from Unix is that file handling by
OS is case insensitive. This works in dumb way, where the file name is
stored with letters case upon creation. Then it is always seen as case
insensitive, so even change of case is not possible. The WIN32 API handles
these letters case on directory lists, so that is why the SVN may work,
until you do not change filenames. Cygwin probably use the same feature. I
think Bazaar should work well, until you do not create any files or change
its names under Windows.

--
Manveru
jabber: manveru@...

&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:stambaughw@...";>stambaughw@...</a>&gt=
;</span><br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px sol=
id rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

left;">

evel%40yahoogroups.com" target=3D"_blank">kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</a>, =
Dick Hollenbeck &lt;dick@...&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Wayne Stambaugh wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; Dick Hollenbeck wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&lt;&lt;&lt; snipped &gt;&gt;&gt;<div class=3D"im"><br>
&gt; I am fearful of git for a number of reasons, one of which is that casu=
al <br>
&gt; windows builders would be tormented with installing git. Having to <b=
r>
&gt; install Cygwin, perl, bash, to run git, is a non-starter for most <br>
&gt; Windows users, it is a main reason why I pushed so hard for CMAKE. I =
&gt; hate Windows, hate it even more with Cygwin on it. Plus frankly, with=
&gt; git, I think that we could easily fall into a trap of idolizing the <b=
r>
&gt; Linux project as &quot;the right way to do everything&quot;. I don&#3=
9;t want any <br>
&gt; part of that.<br>
Dick,<br>
I thought you might find this interesting. I stumbled upon it while messin=
g around with Bazaar. From the Bazaar documentation page &lt;<a href=3D"ht=
tp://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/latest/en/user-guide/installing_bazaar.html" target=
=3D"_blank">http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/latest/en/user-guide/installing_bazaa=
r.html</a>&gt;: &quot;Note: If you are running Cygwin on Windows, a Bazaar =
for Cygwin package is available and ought to be used instead of the Windows=
version&quot;. After a bit more digging, I found this: &lt;<a href=3D"htt=
ps://blueprints.launchpad.net/bzr/+spec/case-insensitive-filesystems" targe=
t=3D"_blank">https://blueprints.launchpad.net/bzr/+spec/case-insensitive-fi=
lesystems</a>&gt;. It appears that Bazaar doesn&#39;t cleanly handle case =
insensitive file names. For developers using only windows, there is no iss=
ue. However, for those of us who switch between the two environments there=
may be issues unless you stick with the Cygwin version. Subversion seems =
to handle this fairly well as I have not experienced any problems switching=
between the two platforms.<br>

VN handles it well, as NTFS used now on most Windows computers is case sens=
itive filesystem. The only difference from Unix is that file handling by OS=
is case insensitive. This works in dumb way, where the file name is stored=
with letters case upon creation. Then it is always seen as case insensitiv=
e, so even change of case is not possible. The WIN32 API handles these lett=
ers case on directory lists, so that is why the SVN may work, until you do =
not change filenames. Cygwin probably use the same feature. I think Bazaar =
should work well, until you do not create any files or change its names und=
er Windows.<br>
www.manveru.pl">http://www.manveru.pl</a><br>
 --00151750e950817c2304764b7c7f--