Re: Bug 2870835 Patch - Inconsistent Label Direction + some tidying

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Brian Sidebotham <brian.sidebotham@...>wrote:

> >> Hmm, I've been looking at this but I can't really see a way of
> >> supporting this without breaking previous schematics.
> >>
> >> Has anyone got any suggestions about how to do this change without
> >> breaking old schematics?
> >>

> > Have you approached the issue from the perspective of:
> >
> > a schematic conversion is done at time of first load, and the converted
> > schematic uses an altogether new representation, such as a word vs. what
> > was formerly a number or single character?
> >
> > The schematic loader then has to be able to recognize either of these
> > representations for awhile.
> >
> > And when saving you use the new represenation. �This does not break old
> > schematics, which everyone probably agrees we should never do.
> >
> > I have not spent any time on this, but it is a general idea that might
> > be helpful. �As these file formats evolve, we are trying to getthem to
> > be more self documenting anyway.
> >
> > Dick
>
> No I hadn't at all! Thanks for your help Dick, I will go and investigate that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian.

While you're looking at this, I noticed that on at least one of the label kinds (forget which one), the left/right was inconsistent from the up/down. A fix for that would be nice.

Also, while you're coding in this area, I personally don't like 3 differentbuttons for 3 different kinds of labels. Why can't I just say I want to place a label, and then the dialog box lets me choose what kind? I mean, ifI need to change an on-sheet label to a hierarchical one, I ought to be able to double-click, hit one radio button to change the type, another radio button to flip it over to the other side of the wire, and be done, right?

Regards,
Pat