Re: wxDC zoom break through.

Torsten Hüter wrote:
Hi Dick,

Or at least non wxGraphicsContext and true wxGraphicsContext calls map to the same underlying API.

AFAIK wxGraphicsContext uses on Windows GDI+, while wxDC doesn't use this backend - this is a license problem.

Interesting, please explain your perception and the nature of this license problem, and who do you think owns the problem: the authors of wxWidgets, us, Microsoft, or the end user?

wxWidget's wxGraphicsContext sits on top of GDI+ for windows:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533798%28VS.85%29.aspx

You can't easily compile it on MinGW, that's why Jean-Pierre has not used it (compare the older discussion about this topic).

With compiling, in my experience, I've noticed that the first time is the hardest, after the first successful compilation it gets much easier. And one person can benefit from another's work here.

It's too early to reach any conclusions about the value of wxGraphicsContext. But Wayne will soon be in a position to offer an informed opinion. IMO, the value of wxGraphicsContext does not come from its speed or lack thereof. On my machine I doubt there will be any speed difference at all.

I am assuming for now that the authors of wxWigets, who have been trustworthy enough to this point, might be trustworthy enough to construct a decent enough graphics API.

It seems like we've had this conversation already. But I am keeping an open mind, until the point in time where there is enough information available to justify a change.

And when a company does step up and sponsor work in this project costing tens of thousands of dollars, it is difficult for it to even hear that purchasing a $20 mouse is a problem, not to mention a $200 computer.

However, when a bigger company has enough money for that, they wouldn't use KiCad and rather buy a supported professional package

I wasn't talking about the size of the company, I was talking about the size and cost of previous contributions. You missed my point, and it was an important one:

"The contributors cannot be expected to spend more money targeting hardware that is obsolete, when the owners of that obsolete hardware can solve their problem simply by also contributing monetarily to their own happiness." (Read that carefully again.)

If contributed code comes in and runs OK on new hardware but not so well on old hardware, then don't be surprised if the folks doing the contribution don't jump and fix it so it runs on your old hardware. Your part in your happiness is to buy hardware that runs Kicad. If this means that Kicad is no longer free to you, then welcome to the party.

A corporate user will be less likely to be using a laptop (more inclined to be using a desktop computer), and when he is using a laptop, it will normally have one of the larger sized screens available on a laptop.

As in any volunteer service, there are limits on the number of demands that can be asked of those who contribute their time freely. I think to expect otherwise is to lead to disappointment, and loss of volunteers. No amount of debate will change this.

(When they are getting paid, this is a different story.)

It seems simple enough to me. Knowing the psychology, could work to your advantage.

Dick