Re: GDI+ sucks / how to compile under Windows

Manveru wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Compilation of KiCad from latest revision under Windows is _not
> straightforward_ anymore. Because there is a strong need for gdi+
> libraries, this link might be useful:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/wxmax/downloads/detail?name=gdiplus_includes.zip&can=2&q=
> <http://code.google.com/p/wxmax/downloads/detail?name=gdiplus_includes.zip&can=2&q=>
>
> This requires to rebuild the wxWidgets 2.9.0 once again this time with
> wxGraphicsContext, so there might be a problem with gdi+ stuff with
> wxWidgets.
>
> Solution is here:
> http://www.miscdebris.net/blog/2009/09/17/adding-gdi-headers-to-mingw-to-compile-wxwidgets-with-wxgraphicscontext-support/
>

> This message is only an informative announcement to anyone interested in
> mingw build of KiCad under Windows. Hope it helps. Maybe it should go
> somewhere on the wiki left for further generations (until wxWidgets team
> drop gdi+).

Manveru,

I added this link to COMPILING.txt on SVN r2323 as well as the
instructions on building wxWidgets to enable wxGraphicsContext using
MinGW. Enabling USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT on windows doesn't work with
wxWidgets 2.8.10 either. I builds fine but there is difference between
the way wxGraphicsContext works on GTK and Windows. It appears that on
windows, the coordinate transforms are not implemented properly and the
clip box (wxDC clip box not Kicad's internal clip rectangle) is
somewhere outside the client area. This results in a rather amusing
behavior where everything that is inside the client window doesn't get
repainted. I'm not sure if wxWidgets or GDI+ is to blame. No one ever

Wayne