Re: wxDC & wxGraphicsContext Test [3 Attachments]

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Torsten Hüter" <torstenhtr@...> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> However it has to be said ( or written ), that Marco's tests are not veryrepresentative. You can't put everything in one drawing path - a path is AFAIK defined for one pen size / color.

I reference to the second wxTest post with the grid disabled.

I agree with you, i've used 10 paths for this reason, load balancing them.
With 200k lines is 20k for path, more or less like draw 10 heavy zones following the jean-pierre hints.
Is oblius that in the Kicad use the number of paths could be more, but remember that could be "appended" to existing ones.

> There are many other choices too - just read my posting about the different graphics backends.
> Cairo can be used directly - I'd assume that's much easier than trying GDI+ on windows - the GTK group maintains the port for Windows / MINGW. http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html

But this could not preclude you some new ports of wx-widgets ?
Having a common Interface, this couldn't make easier port to a new library if needed ?

> wxGraphicsContext is basically a abstraction layer for Cairo - most functions are very similar - however Cairo supports even much more functions.
> Another variant is the use of OpenGL and its hardware acceleration.

I think are the common ones between all the frameworks.
Could be usefully on some platforms also specify which CARD and with which cairo backend and driver.

> I'm writing currently a better benchmark for wxGC and OpenGL - first tests on my notebook show that OpenGL draws lines at least 30x faster than wxGC. I'll try also Cairo with wxWidgets.
>
> I had problems with boost::timer - the value seems to be incorrect (?)

Incorrect, what make you think this, want to change it ?

I'm for a NO GO too now, but before a final choice better do a spectrum-wide test.

--
Marco