Re: libstdc++

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@...> wrote:

> Just distributing the libstdc++.so from your Ubuntu, placing it in a
> fixed directory (such as where you place the binaries), and making the
> CMake install command put a LD_LIBRARY_PATH statement in there, pointing
> to this directory, (e.g. /usr/local/bin ) should fix the problem for 95%
> of all contemporary 32 bit distros.
>

> The invocation command line would then look like this:
>

> $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/bin kicad
>

> Thereafter, I believe and child processes, pcbnew, eeschema, etc, will
> inherit the same environment as their parent (kicad program), and get
> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting.
>
> If you can simply set this environment variable in the desktop
> shortcuts, then I cannot think of an easier solution. Otherwise, there
> may need to be an intermediate invoking shell script that does the same
> thing, such as a shell script that has that single line in it. The
> shortcuts could then call than launching script.

That's more or less what the mozilla people do these days (look in the 'firefox' shell script). But I think about a possible source of troubles:
wxWindows uses *itself* the stdc++/gsup, that could conflict/not being compatible with the supplied one.

I mean: debian wx using debian stdc++, loaded in the same address space as kicad using kicad stdc++...

I don't know what ld.so does in this situation. Experimentation is needed:D