Re: Failed installation

Alain Portal wrote:
Le dimanche 9 mai 2010 06:16:09, Dick Hollenbeck a écrit :

2) Also, I think it is harmful to have the internat directory tree
present in stable.  It is now in the docs, repo.  Any objections if I
delete it from stable?

I think this is a fabulous error to remove i18n for stable repo!
Please speak louder, I cannot hear you.

Two main reasons:
- because i18n moved to doc, there is now only one source for strings and translations for both stable and devel branch. What should happend when new strings will be append in devel branch (which we don't know the release date) and strings would be fix (because code or strings) in stable?
i18n is a full part of a branch...
- because i18n moved to doc, a user (packager) is forced to install (package) documentation to get his language. This isn't a good thing...

Regards,
Alain

We have pros and cons on both sides. Your analysis is not considering all aspects of this decision.

There is no easy way to keep the i18n mappings current within stable. Normal source is kept current within stable via merge requests from testing. But the same cannot hold for i18n mappings, because "testing" will not have the i18n stuff in it (and on that I am 100% resolved, due to access rights).

The easiest solution is to have a stable docs branch, but I am not sure the mappings are all that dynamic to warrant this. There may be other solutions. And the problem may prove to be quite small in practice.

Let's research external entities in the bazaar documentation. Bazaar does not let you checkout a portion of a branch, only a whole branch. But some brainstorming cannot hurt.

If you know anything about me, I almost never jump to the first solution, always like to have considered a number of alternatives before solving something. Please remember that.

Dick