Re: Footprint module name

Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2010, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

in pcbnew, right click on the module, select Edit -> Change Module, then you see the module name in field "Current Module" in the Exchange Modules field.

The whole 'change module' is IMHO not very clear, since it *also* does
a refresh from library, but that's another issue.

Given this, what do you suggest, maybe a non-editable field in the "Module properties" dialog?

That could be a start, but the problem reported is *renaming* a module.

When a module is instantiated within a board, it is copied in its entirety into the BOARD tree. So, which copy must be renamed, the copy in the board or the one in the library?

Renaming a module in a library is a task for the module editor. Renaming a module in the board is arguably only needed if the origin of the module (i.e. the library from which the copy was made) is now using a different name also.

Creating a summarizing, concise statement of what the problem is would be good, and should be the next thing we do. I think it should be easy to think of some possible solution ideas / alternatives, once the problem is fully defined. Then somebody needs to volunteer to code it. I would consider volunteering for it, depending on what we come up with.

So which module needs to be renamed? The copy or the library? And please don't say copy unless you can say why and when.

Dick

Maybe add to the Change Module a way to simply rename it? a whole new
command?

Or otherwise maybe changing the archive module tool to export using the
reference?

Every idea has pros and cons, I think we should decide how to solve this
problem.