Re: Graphics Abstraction Layer for KiCad

On 07/12/2010 01:39 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010, "Torsten Hüter" wrote:
>
>> I'm not yet happy with the text quality on OpenGL - perhaps I'll try
>> out textures for small texts. For a higher quality (OpenGL) you have
>> to force antialiasing in the graphics card setup on your desktop.
>
> Please tell me we're *not* going toward opengl only. I simply do not
> have an opengl capable machine at work :( Actually, I'm using kicad in
> remote X!

Torsten,

Thank you for spending thousands of dollars worth of your valuable time,
and of your company's valuable time.  Should this work be accepted, I'm
sure this expenditure will place you on the map of major Kicad contributors.

If your work causes some folks to have to upgrade their hardware, I
wonder if we should not simply take the position that your monetary
expenditure dwarfs any expenditure that some users may have to make in
order to upgrade their hardware, even if those hardware upgrade costs
were in the thousands of dollars.

Admittedly I may have a fairly forward attitude about this, but I just
get pained when folks whine about the cost of having to buy hardware to
run Kicad.  The software is not free to everyone, so why should the
hardware be?  Perhaps some of this will evolve away as we get a higher
percentage of corporate users vs. hobbyists.

I am sure several of us will look forward to finding the time to begin
reviewing your work.  I am one of those.

Thank you for giving us a preview.

Dick