Re: Graphics Abstraction Layer for KiCad

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:25:01 -0500, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 01:39 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010, "Torsten Hüter" wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not yet happy with the text quality on OpenGL - perhaps I'll try
>>> out textures for small texts. For a higher quality (OpenGL) you have
>>> to force antialiasing in the graphics card setup on your desktop.
>>
>> Please tell me we're *not* going toward opengl only. I simply do not
>> have an opengl capable machine at work :( Actually, I'm using kicad in
>> remote X!
>

> Torsten,
>

> Thank you for spending thousands of dollars worth of your valuable time,
> and of your company's valuable time.  Should this work be accepted, I'm
> sure this expenditure will place you on the map of major Kicad
> contributors.
>

> If your work causes some folks to have to upgrade their hardware, I
> wonder if we should not simply take the position that your monetary
> expenditure dwarfs any expenditure that some users may have to make in
> order to upgrade their hardware, even if those hardware upgrade costs
> were in the thousands of dollars.
>
> Admittedly I may have a fairly forward attitude about this, but I just
> get pained when folks whine about the cost of having to buy hardware to
> run Kicad.  The software is not free to everyone, so why should the
> hardware be?  Perhaps some of this will evolve away as we get a higher
> percentage of corporate users vs. hobbyists.
>

> I am sure several of us will look forward to finding the time to begin
> reviewing your work.  I am one of those.
>

> Thank you for giving us a preview.
>

> Dick

Well said. I also think that we have to move forward as does hardware.
Graphics should be handled by the graphics hardware. Anyone
who claims that graphic cards are not for 2d, take a look at
some modern pcb designing tool, the era of tango 2.3
has expired.

Rok