Re: Graphics Abstraction Layer for KiCad

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

Admittedly I may have a fairly forward attitude about this, but I just
get pained when folks whine about the cost of having to buy hardware to
run Kicad.  The software is not free to everyone, so why should the
hardware be?  Perhaps some of this will evolve away as we get a higher
percentage of corporate users vs. hobbyists.

Let aside that we're corporate users and I get paid too for working on
kicad... I don't say "opengl is not useful". I say "mandatory 3d
acceleration for a line based 2d cad system is overkill" for me.
Considering that otherwise performance is already pretty good, too (Wise
GerbTool is so slow at display that the make you *explicity* refresh
when you change something in the view parameters). And anyway good gpus
accelerate 2d drawing, too.

Also please note that I was one of the firsts to make suggestions on how
to have better quality for text :P

Anyway since he's talking about 'abstraction' I think it could support
both display modes.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl