Re: library structure

On 9/24/2010 10:35 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 09/24/2010 08:59 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

<<< snipped >>>

> Then if you give EESCHEMA the ability to treat any previously designed
> schematic as a library source for a new schematic (remembering that a
> parts list is a library that exists within a schematic), you can pull
> from one parts list into a new one, using drag and drop also.  If you
> want to extend this to the extreme, you can eventually do away with
> library files in total and only have one file format, schematics.  This
> extension is a separate optional design decision obviously.  You could
> also do this and hide it by giving the libraries a different file
> extention, but the formats could be identical.  Library files would not
> need to have any component instantiations or wires.

This is an interesting concept.  I was thinking about embedding the library in
the schematic instead of a separate library file when you suggested a separate
project library file.  I actually like this concept better.  The only down side
I see is that it requires implementing the schematic structure to support this
at the same time which may be too big of a change to implement in a reasonable
time frame.  We could implement the component library first and design in the
capability to embed libraries into other files as part of the library
structure.  Then we could repeat this same exercise for the schematic structure
and make the library to schematic transition then.

Wayne