Re: exploiting human readability

On 10/06/2010 04:07 PM, Karl Schmidt wrote:
>  I'm thinking of
> the ability to open a file and do search and replace to update a manufacture's number that has
> changed it's part numbering system?

Are you wanting to do this with a text editor, or what?  Currently you'd
have to do this with a text editor right?  In the future if we have a
parts list within the schematic, then we talked about the spread sheet
interface to the parts list.

The underlying model within the schematic could look something like this:

(parts_list
  (columns   # which could be superimposed onto all components contained
    (column NAME1)
    (column NAME2)
  )
  (library
    (component...)
    (component...)
  )
)

The columns might be added as to the components during loading, or could
not be added to the components but rather to a PARTS_LIST C++
container.  There are two paths to explore there.

Both could lead to a PARTS_LIST class in C++ which you look at via a
spreadsheet interface.
The count of rows is is given by the number of components.  I am not
showing the row values for all the columns in the sexpression text. That
is still a hole (unsolved problem).

But this is just a wild idea that is just as likely to be bad as good. Again, offer
something alternative.

The important points are A) spreadsheet interface, and B) can act as a
LIBRARY_SOURCE for other schematics.

> Another concern would be if this week-long project stretched out to the point that there is a loss
> of priorities.

Exactly, like me doing my real job.  :)

Dick