Re: Improving usability of KiCad

On 10/10/2010 12:35 PM, Vesa Solonen wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>
>> We are essentially rewriting eeschema very soon.
>
> Any plans going metric on the way? I know it doesn't actuallu matter

I second that. Imperial is so last millennium.

> between platforms. On wx(GTK) the layout with labels and textboxes is
> never correct (just look at KiCad on wxGTK vs Windows), but on Qt it's
> completely non issue. Platform nativenes issue was solved some time ago,
> so Qt ought to be as native as wxWidgets. I know the great deal of
> investment for wxWidgets, but sometimes one has to leave old behind.
> Nokia pushing Qt seems to be a good thing as license was relaxed
> LGPL/GPL/commercial and development is ongoing. Qucs and FreeCAD would
> combine with KiCad more seamlessly...

I'm find the idea of going QT interesting, but I have to ask the
question: "Isn't QT slower?". It may be just me, but I get the feeling
that wxGTK apps are the most responsive on my F13 box.

> Just to make it clear, I don't want to start any war about which tookit
> is the best or KDE/Gnome/OSX/Win/FLTK/E17... usability battle, just some
> thinking about which toolkit is the best for KiCad and sustainable and
> saving developer time. Especially the graphics, if the problem is
> already solved why it has to be solved again with minor differences? It
> seems that the world is full of unsolved problems, but those who can and
> will solve them are a scarce resource. Let's spend that recource
> meaningfully. I use Gnome on Ubuntu Linux, but vastly prefer Qt as a
> tool. Qt-clearlooks style.

I never questioned kicad's decision to use wxWidgets. I do think,
however, of the 3d-viewer crashing on non-nvidia cards or nvidia cards
with nouveau. I can reproduce it 100%. Are these and similar sort of
issues common with wx? Would it be easier to switch to a different GUI
system instead of patching up wx? If the answer to the last two
questions is yes, then count me in on the effort.

Alright, I admit, being a KDE user, I'm very biased towards QT, so
someone wiser should question my reasoning.

Alex