Re: Silk screen line width behavior.

On 11/9/2010 4:11 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 11/09/2010 02:35 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> I just got DFM failure from my PCB manufacture for silk screen width of 0.001"
>> for all the silk screen drawings on a board I just laid out.  I checked all of
>> the module silk screen widths and everything is 0.005" or larger.  A quick
>> check of the silk screen layer gerber file revealed the aperture being used was
>> indeed 0.001".  After some digging around, I found that changing the "Default
>> pen size" in the plot dialog changed the silk screen line width.  Is this the
>> appropriate behavior?  Setting the default line width to 0 did not fall back to
>> the line width defined in the module.  I would expect my silk screen line
>> widths to be what I defined them in my module not the default pen size setting.
>>  At one time, I thought this was the default behavior.  Before I file a bug
>> report, I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.  Anyone else have any
>> thoughts on this?
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> Its not perfectly pertinent to your question, but I have found
>
> /scripts/setfont.sh
>
> to be useful after I have a board ready to plot.
>
> I have not stumbled onto your problem before.  Maybe something has
> changed, or I just missed it.

I haven't laid out a board with the latest stable version so I can't say for
sure but I don't remember having this problem with the previous stable version.

>>From a UI perspective, I would not prefer to have to set the default
> width to zero to say, "leave me alone".
>
> I would prefer to select a checkbox saying override the line-widths, or NOT.

A check box would be preferable.  Setting the line width to 0 is less than
obvious to the user.  Currently, setting the line width to 0 will set the
aperture to 0 which in itself might be consider a bug.  I confirmed this with
BZR 2595.

Wayne