Re: New part file format document.

On 12/15/2010 11:39 AM, Vesa Solonen wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>
>> On 12/15/2010 7:19 AM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
>
>>> I would have thought there would need to be a way in the syntax of
>>> showing what was a selectable/finished part and what was merely a
>>> "symbol" or partial part which should not be allowed to be entered
>>> into the schematic directly.
>
> The possibility of adding _just_ symbols with pin function definitions should
> be allowed for flexibility. For discrete and component array design this is
> very convenient. For example ona may draw the logic with discrete transistors
> (without any consideration on actual components), then breadboard the stuff and
> finally decide to take Q1, Q3 and Q4 to Q6 from the transistor array in
> production.

This seems like something that should be handled at the schematic level rather
than the part file level.  You could use a sheet that points to a file with
your discrete component Q1, Q3, etc. design and copy that to a different file
name and remove the extra discrete components.  For production you just make
the sheet in your schematic point to the file with the discrete components removed.

>> If you don't have any objections, I'll update the specification.
>
> Pin and gate swap brought some questions. How to handle the input equality in
> the example NAND gate? Currently there is no pin swap example and pin_renum
> seems to be one possible way for gate swap. Some thought for automatic and
> dynamic text positioning for values and designators might be in order to allow
> rotation and mirroring without rotated and mirrored text. It may need something
> more than just justification hints, but I've got some ideas how to do it
> without part file support. Otherwise I think new part file format is
> approaching perfection :)

I didn't use pin_swap in an example because a 7400 is so simple you typically
wouldn't need to swap any pins.  I see pin swapping being useful on component
with a lot of reconfigurable pins (think micro-controllers or gate arrays).
The primary usage pattern I see with pin swapping is say I am 90% done wiring a
32 bit micro-controller in my schematic when I realize that the last couple of
pins are going to turn my schematic into a rats nest.  Rather than rip up all
the work you've just done, you could quickly create a new component based on
the existing one and swap the pins that would allow you to finish wiring your
schematic the way you want it to.  I can see pin swapping also finding it's way
into the schematic edit.  This way you wouldn't even need to create a new part
outside the schematic.  Dick's library design also make schematics in library
sources.

Wayne