Re: How to apply new language ?

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 2:43 AM, jean-pierre charras <jp.charras@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le 16/01/2011 16:31, yone ken a écrit :
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have started to localize KiCad in Japanese.
>> I made language file (committed to lp:~kicad-developers/kicad/doc),
>> and modified source (attachment: kicad-jp.patch, Lang_Jp.xpm).
>>
>> After 'make' and 'sudo make install',
>> I think KiCad was installed correctly.
>> But when I select language in Japanese, GUI still show in English.
>>
>> My environment is
>> Ubuntu 10.10(x86_64), KiCad revno: 2710.
>>
>> Could anybody help me? Thank's.
>>
>> --
>> Kenta Yonekura (yoneken)
>>
> I committed you patch.
> Tanks.
> I cannot test your translation because Japanese language is not installedon
> my computer.
> Usually, adding your files kicad.mo and kicad.po (in fact kicad.po is just
> for poedit) in subdirectory jp ou jp_JP,
> inside kicad/share/internat or share/kicad/internat (depending on kicad is
> installed) is enough.
> (For instance, I installed kicad on my computer in /usr/local,
> all kicad files are in /usr/local/kicad and translations are located in
> /usr/local/kicad/share/internat)
> If Japanese language if the default, select default language in kicad should
> work.
> (In fact the language menu selection is useful  for developers to test
> different language).
>
> Can you select some others languages? (Warning: these languages must alsobe
> installed in your Ubuntu distribution, if you want to use them in Kicad.)
>
> --
> Jean-Pierre CHARRAS

Hi JP.

I tried 3 tests.

1) Can I select any other languages?
2) Can I edit any other languages?
3) If I exchange jp/kicad.mo with other/kicad.mo, GUI shows in other language?

The results are:
1) OK - After I installed French on my computer, GUI menus show in French.
2) OK - After I edited fr/kicad.mo, the text is changed.
3) NG - After I exchange fr/kicad.mo with jp/kicad.mo, GUI shows in English.

According to these results, I think this issue is not from the language file
but from the KiCad source.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--