Re: New schematic file format.

On 3/30/2011 5:00 AM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
> On 30 March 2011 00:15, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 03/29/2011 01:57 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>>>
>>> 3) Eliminate layers since they are not really used in EESchema other than for
>>> defining the display color of the object?  Adding wire and bus classes would
>>> eliminate the need for layered line objects.
>>>
>>> 4) Provide support for schematic editor settings that can be restored between
>>> schematic editing sessions?
>>
>> YES!  It would be cool to have basically *all* the settings in there.  I see
>> value to even recording the current sheet in view, maybe even the mouse
>> pointer setting, colors, what not, so that a user can pass a schematic file
>> to a support person and actually convey what he/she is seeing and how it looks.
>
> This makes version control for projects almost impossible. I agree
> that you want those settings available, but in a separate file would
> be much better for schematics under version control.
>
> I'm not a fan of a million different files either, but a schematic
> user options file would mean everyone working on a centralised project
> can have their own local preferences without affecting the schematic
> in the repository.
>
> This way it works for version control, and in a support role someone
> could forward you both the schematic and schematic user option files.
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable case?

I believe some of the settings are currently saved in the project file.  Would
that be a better place to store them or would they create the same version
control problem as saving them in the schematic file?  Maybe a separate last
state file for this kind of information may be the way to go.  That way you
just ignore the file when using version control.  I probably would make it
project wide so we don't need to keep a last state file for every Kicad
application.

Wayne