Re: New schematic file format.

On 30 March 2011 14:24, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/30/2011 5:00 AM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:

>>> YES!  It would be cool to have basically *all* the settings in there.  I see
>>> value to even recording the current sheet in view, maybe even the mouse
>>> pointer setting, colors, what not, so that a user can pass a schematic file
>>> to a support person and actually convey what he/she is seeing and how it looks.
>>
>> This makes version control for projects almost impossible. I agree
>> that you want those settings available, but in a separate file would
>> be much better for schematics under version control.
>>
>> I'm not a fan of a million different files either, but a schematic
>> user options file would mean everyone working on a centralised project
>> can have their own local preferences without affecting the schematic
>> in the repository.
>>
>> This way it works for version control, and in a support role someone
>> could forward you both the schematic and schematic user option files.
>>
>> Does this sound like a reasonable case?
>
> I believe some of the settings are currently saved in the project file.  Would
> that be a better place to store them or would they create the same version
> control problem as saving them in the schematic file?  Maybe a separate last
> state file for this kind of information may be the way to go.  That way you
> just ignore the file when using version control.  I probably would make it
> project wide so we don't need to keep a last state file for every Kicad
> application.
>
> Wayne

The project file gives rise to the same problem - user options
contaminating a file under version control.

I think having a set of user options installation wide, and a set of
project-wide overriding user options would be great! Having it
project-wide would be best, rather than one file for schematic and
another for PCB.

Of course, almost every option then needs to be re-classified. What is
a user option, and what is a project option?

Best Regards,

Brian.