What's the reason for this error?

In pcbnew I'm trying to define a fixture hole (a non metalized one).

If I try to remove the copper layers from the pad properties it says:

"Error: pad is not on a copper layer and has a hole"

Why is that? It seems to me that a substrate only hole is a perfectly
legitimate thing to do... maybe it is to make it seen from the DRC?

Our fabs require that NPTH holes have no pad under them, so I have to
delete them manually in a gerber editor... that's really not cool:((

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl

Follow ups