Re: problem when compiling kicad with -DMAINTAIN_PNGS=ON

Comments embedded...

On 14/09/2011 10:42 p.m., fabrizio wrote:
> Hello,
> following there steps:
If you are working with multiple branches, set up a repository first. It
will speed things up...

>mydirname=work_on_kicad
>bzr init-repo $mydirname
>cd $mydirname

(and then what you have... bzr branch bla bla bla)

> bzr branch lp:kicad kicad
> bzr branch kicad kicad_exp
> cd kicad_exp
> mkdir build
> cd build
> cmake ../ -DKICAD_TESTING_VERSION=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DMAINTAIN_PNGS=ON
> make -j 4
Perfect, should work fine.
> it cause the whole PNG set (and relative .cpp) to get rebuilt. I guess
> this should not happen but instead rebuilding should happen only when
> new .svg files are made.

After you set up a repository for the first time, you only run make (as
discussed before). So after this first time cmake should do the right thing.

I only skimmed previous emails on the new icons and associated cmake
scripts. If the build process modifies othewise equal files via a date
stamp, then youall will have to make the cmake script smarter. If not,
then you lose a bit of time while a file rebuilds unnecessarily but the
patch should only have real changes in it. If the time-cost of
rebuilding a file is large; then, as before, your only option is to make
the cmake script smarter.

In general, cmake is conservative about rebuilding, and is known to
rebuild things unnecessarily.

Finally, one assumption that many forget... verify that your computer
clock is set to the actual time. Preferably via a ntp/windows time server

Hauptmech