Re: Advanced rendering techniques for KiCad

On 10/4/2011 9:32 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>
>> Please don't let this discourage you.  IMO OpenGL support is very important for
>> the future of Kicad.  It seems silly to me not to take advantage of hardware
>> accelerated graphics available on most modern computers.
>
> Maybe I was misunderstood... what I meant is that there are some things
> which could be better the way are now (i.e. no blending) and that
> traditional display should not be junked...

I don't think junking what we have now is an option until the OpenGL support is
completely implemented and debugged.  I've always envisioned the OpenGL support
being a build time option that becomes the default option when it is ready.
Once it becomes the default, it is likely that the wxDC implementation will
suffer from bit rot and eventually be removed unless someone steps up to the
plate and maintains it.

> In fact I also gave suggestions about how to implement the features:P

And some very good ones too.  But manpower limitations will certainly make it
difficult to support multiple device contexts.