visibility problems with kicad executables

Hello,
as probably many of you, I have a kicad dev version in /opt/kicad and
I periodically do:
cd /opt/kicad
bzr pull
cd build
make -j 5

to pull new versions and compile the whole.

Well I am not sure why but on one machine at home (ubuntu 11.10, 64
bit) I do not seem to be able to start any kicad application
(eeschema, etc) by clicking on the kicad icons. I get the error:
Command <eeschema> could not found

The only path that I have in .bashrc is "/opt/kicad/build/kicad" but
even if I do:

PATH=$PATH:/opt/kicad/build/kicad:/opt/kicad/build/eeschema:/opt/kicad/build/cvpcb:/opt/kicad/build/gerbview:/opt/kicad/build/bitmat2component:/opt/kicad-doc:/opt/kicad-lib
export PATH

I still have the same problem. of course, from the terminal I have not
problem in starting eeschema and others.

Can anybody suggest a solution?

thanks a lot
Fabrizio

Follow ups