Re: comment on the design of the "save before exit" window

On 1/6/2012 8:54 AM, Fabrizio Tappero wrote:
> hello,
> in attachment you can find a comparison between the Geda schematic
> "save before exit" window, the eeschema one and the eeschema component
> editor one. I might be wrong but it seems to me that in kicad the same
> question from two different programs is wrongly asked. Because the
> same answer require me to click no for one and yes for the other. Am I
> wrong?
>
> It also seems to me that the Geda question is a little better.
>
> I was wondering if it would not be worth going for a "save" and "close
> without saving" kind of question throughout the whole kicad suite. The
> consequence of not doing that (like in the current kicad case) is that
> for the same action you need to click yes and sometime no, according
> to what the question is.
>
> regards
> Fabrizio

Fabrizio,

Sorry it took me so long to respond.  I've been rather busy lately.  You
are correct about message box.  However, until wxWidgets 3.0 becomes
minimum version for KiCad this will be a fairly big effort.  The current
message box does not support changing the button labels or including the
extended message.  You would either have to create your own custom
message box or pull the latest version of the wxMessageBox code from
2.9.3.  In the mean time, there are plenty of opportunities to improve
the messages in many of KiCad's dialog boxes.