Re: proposal to move drawing routines to separate class

On 02/01/2012 04:36 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 1/31/2012 3:32 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

>>> I believe it easily.

>> Seems Tom is no longer following the KiCad project :(
>>
>> (or is too busy to even read and reply to his personal email, because I sent a separate
>> one to him personally.)
>>

>>> I agree.
>>> This approach has some advantages.
>>> And graphical libraries will certainly change in the future.
>> Thanks Jean-Pierre.
>>
>> I guess we can keep this in mind as we free up man-hours.
>>
>> It may be that building DLL/DSOs will require a number of fragments, not just one
>> horizontal cut per application.  I roughly see:
>>
>> 1) a lower level cut for data model without actions other than load, save and add and
>> delete elements.  This allows automatic document generation and manipulation from scripts.
>>
>> 2) a higher level cut for existing actions (without GUI).  This argues for using some of
>> the actionable "verb" type operations.  The current difficulty is that they are tied to
>> the wxFrame and I'm not sure this is OK or not yet.  I still think at this "verb" layer
>> you want no GUI in the actions, because the scripting upper layers would not need or want
>> them.
> I think most of what is in the wxFrame objects are the settings used for
> printing, plotting, etc.  These settings could easily be passed to the
> appropriate verb operation via parameters or a class to encapsulate
> them.  I don't think that wxFrame derived objects are actually used to
> perform any of the action operations although I could be wrong.
>
> Wayne

Wayne,

That sounds like a good idea.  As you say, if need be, maybe add a controller class for
these UI-less portions.

Then you could use multiple inheritance at the PCB_EDIT_FRAME level to re-introduce the
controller back into the frame, except that you have it separate from the UI when
you need it as such for scripting.

Dick