Re: Ideas for kicad

On 02/17/2012 04:09 PM, Luis Carvajal wrote:
Is the  proposal to organize the roadmap and chose some tasks for
hiring and pay developers using money coming from donations
specifically for those tasks?

Yes, that was the idea. Among some developers communities, this approach is called "reverse bounty".

A developer which would like to add a specific feature to the software asks the user community to donate to cover his work costs to implement such feature.

Among the Drupal community (a free software website platform), in which I've been involved some years ago, the reverse bounty approach has financed many many lines of code.. but not only that, also new servers, bandwidth, website redesign, etc.. it just seem to work.

This is an example from another software http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1116615214/subtitles-in-miro-translations-and-support-for-t

Of course, there is a little bit of "marketing" involved.. I mean that you have to convince people that the feature you are proposing will be helpful to them and that you'll have the knowledge to implement that.