KICAD_PLUGIN

FYI, I enabled CMake variables USE_NEW_PCBNEW_SAVE and USE_NEW_PCBNEW_SAVE for the PCBNEW
build which we used to make production quantities of version 2 of our flagship ARM9 board,
called the SMART board.

This is putting your money where your mouth is.

The confidence in KICAD_PLUGIN on my part is that high.  (Although there are a couple
minor items missing yet.)  The time is nearing when we can switch over to it however, for
a period of time without introducing meaningful BOARD file changes.  This small time
period would be for purposes of reaching 100% confidence only.  Then after that, "we go
nanometer internally".

At the time we go nanometer internally:

*) the board files will actually be in millimeters.  (Only a matter of where the decimal
point is, there will be resolution down to nanometer.)

*) we have a relatively unique opportunity to significantly change the PCBNEW board format.

As mentioned, the initial transition to KICAD_PLUGIN does not have to change the board
format (this is the PRE-nanometer switch), and is just a means of verifying KICAD_PLUGIN's
integrity.  This is the mode I have been using for a couple of months now.

Dick

Follow ups