Re: Hello, I want to help with you project

2012/3/27 Martijn Kuipers <martijn.kuipers@xxxxxxxxx>

> As a vision I see more of the project rewritten in a
>
> python/WxPython/Cython (not SWIG, sorry folks)
>

> Note: I don't know anything about Cython but a quick google.
>

> I think not many devs on the list share your vision. There is some
> scripting work being done,
>
> but that  is scripting inside KiCad and not KiCad inside scripting.

In fact we're working in both things at the same time (
https://code.launchpad.net/~miguelangel-r/kicad/scripting)
  1) scripting inside kicad, and
  2) kicad inside scripting (python by now, and the work it's quite
advanced now).

We ended up choosing swig, because we don't want to close the door to other
scripting languages in the future, and swig it's ready for many languages.

> I also think a major rewrite of KiCad to Python/C#/QT4/Whatever, is not
> something that will benefit the project (my opinion).
>
> I also like QT4 very much, but I think that that means a major rewrite,
and we would expend all our workforce rewriting instead of adding new
features or bugfixing.

> There are still many things that could be done in Python/wxPython/Cython,
> but I foresee those as small addon programs to
>
> KiCad and not the other way around. Things like importer/exporter/gcode
> creator/etc.
>
> Footprint wizards, special drc checks, etc...

> What do you dream about?
>

> Have a good day,
>
> Edwin

Greetings :-)