Re: New Pcbnew file format.

On 04/11/2012 07:14 AM, Solonen Vesa wrote:
> Some salt on the popcorn?
>
> Regarding net classes handling... Flexible automatic design rules would need "differential net classes" that means different rules for a net depending on surrounding nets.
>
> As an example I'll explain the problem of a traditional power electronics half bridge circuit:
>
> HV----                 400V     10A
> Gh--|<                0-415V   1A        0 < V(Gh)-V(Sh) < 15
> Sh---------> Out    0-400V   10A
> Gl---|<                0-15V     1A
> GND------>          0V          10A
>
> HV net needs "power" class clearance and width towards all nets as does Out. Sh needs "power" class clearance towards all nets, but Gh and width according to "control" class. Gh needs the same, but "control" clearance towards Sh. Gl needs "control" class clearance and width.
>
> Curently this system is unrealisable using KiCad DRC. I propose adding a "potential class" description to net class design rules to address this problem.
>
> -Vesa

Like so many suggestions, they are often good ideas that never get done, because they do
not rise to a sufficient level of need within an individual capable of doing the work.

This is especially true in free software, which in fact is never free.

Another thing you can do with this is add it to the bug list as a "wishlist" item.

Otherwise it might get lost on the mailing list.  It is not something we can simply add to
the board  file, and then hope that PCBNEW magically understands as it reads it.

I'm sure you understand that this is a minor hi-jacking of the subject thread, but not a
bad idea.

Dick