Re: New Pcbnew file format.

On 4/12/2012 9:05 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 04/11/2012 06:41 PM, Dan Chianucci wrote:
>> This new format looks great, I have a few comments/questions
>>
>>      1) in some spots like module pads there is (net <nutNum> <netName>) and in other
>> spots like track segments it only has (net <netNum>).
>>      2)What do the edge tags represent in the Module
>
> Exactly.  It might not be the first English tag that comes to mind for this. eh?  I'm not
> even sure these are limited to "edges".

This is one of those areas where I am relying on the knowledge of
someone who know about the BOARD_ITEM internals that I do.  If there is
a more descriptive name or way to present this information, I am
certainly open to suggestion.

>>      3)Draw arc has tags start and end.  I'm not sure if this has changed, but the file
>> format before this held onto the center of the arc, and an endpoint of the arc...
>>         The file format definitions also say it holds onto the starting point and the
>> ending point, which caused a lot of headaches when I wrote my file format converter

I've saved the object information as defined in the current file format
document as closely as possible.  If arcs are defined this way in
current file format, then they will be defined that way in the new file
format.  Otherwise, some transformation will have to be made when
reading the file.

>>      4) What are the two (at) tags in module_text for? why not only 1
>>               Is one a position relative to the module and one a position relative to
>> the board?

Good question.  It appears that TEXTE_MODULE::m_Pos0 which is relative
to the anchor position of the module is the only position saved in the
current format and EDA_TEXT::m_Pos is the absolute position on the board
which I'm guessing is determined from the position of the module.  I'm
not sure why it was done this way.  Is there any reason not to dump
TEXTE_MODULE::m_Pos0 and just use EDA_TEXT::m_Pos?

>>      5) Why does Modules have a different text tag than the pcb itself?  Why not just
>> have a single text tag which can be placed anywhere?

I agree.  Any text definition within a module grouping obviously is an
TEXTE_MODULE object and a text definition anywhere else is a TEXTE_PCB
object.