Re: Postscript/DXF native text

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 01:45:03PM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

> You could fib to yourself, the world, and the output, and treat multi-line text as a
> sequence of single line text entities.
>
> The only problem with fibbing to yourself, is that you always get caught.

I had to look up what 'fib' means XD

In fact, I looked into it... it's already done this way... multiline text is
handled only in the applications (pcbnew and eeschema), not by the graphic
layer in common!  So the issue is 'only' for single line text (mostly done for
DXF, thinking how to do it in postscript)

As for the 'searchability' issue I did a proof of concept (attached)... it
keeps the plotted text but add a 0.00001 decimil text on the origin, which work
as an anchor for find. Works quite well, the only problem is that the 'found'
text isn't highlighted (well, it is, but it's a single pixel!). Could be a good
solution if you don't want to lose the vector font. Also postscript is only
encoded (without a lot of effort and external fonts) for Latin-1; this could be
a problem for someone.

If you want to see how could look a schematic in helvetica try to change the
factor in nilshow (in the postscript prologue) to 500-600 (a very rough idea,
rotation and alignment are not implemented)

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl