Re: Hating wx configuration more than ever...

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 02:25:44PM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> But I cannot tell you what a wxChar* means THIS MONTH.
>
> The best thing the wxWidgets folks could do is to start with this line:
>
> typedef std::string wxString
>
> and then go fix all the compile errors after that.
>
> wxString has served too masters and its biggest mistake was coming into existence.

The wx wiki *explicitly* tells to use fscking wxString instead of std::string!
----
Note that it is recommended to use wxString as much as possible. Do no use char* or std::string unless you use a third-party library that requires you to do so.
----

Since I didn't passed --disable-unicode, wxChar* should be a wchar_t*. Also the operator const wxChar * is present... maybe the culprit is lacking the const bit somehow.

Also the 'fun' thing in the wx trunk doc is this:

----
The wxString class has been completely rewritten for wxWidgets 3.0 and this change was actually the main reason for the calling that version wxWidgets 3.0.

wxString is a class representing a Unicode character string. wxString uses std::basic_string internally (even if wxUSE_STL is not defined) to store its content (unless this is not supported by the compiler or disabled specifically when building wxWidgets) and it therefore inherits many features from std::basic_string. (Note that most implementations of std::basic_string are thread-safe and don't use reference counting.)
----

So at least part of your suggestion was taken in account... (I'd rather have junked it wxString completely) also part of the fun is that "wxString USES std::basic_string" not "wxString EXTENDS std::basic_string". Yay a PART-OF instead of IS-A relationship...

I don't actually care about 2.9 at the moment...

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl