Re: I read the new eeschema file format

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 07:35:56AM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 05/17/2012 04:33 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> > My comments:
> > - Nitpicking: please decide, or UTF-8 or ASCII :D on a technicality
> >   ASCII is a *character set* (codepoints 0 to 127, single byte direct
> >   encoding), UTF-8 is an *encoding* (for the full Unicode repertoire,
> >   usually).
>

> All our s-expression files are utf8, with lowercase ASCII keywords.

OK, *keywords* are ASCII, that's ok

> This is a from the SWEET spec, don't know what your concern is, even after reading it 5-6
> times.

A point between 2 pins wouldn't fit in a wxPoint. Like everything else
in kicad. One of the reason pcbnew switched to nano is to avoid floating
point, with such a kind of coordinate space you'll introduce it in
eeschea...

> > I think we could keep all to ints using a grid like that used
> >   in Type1 fonts: pins on multiples of (say 1000 or 1024) and other
> >   stuff in between (but integer anyway). In other words, fixed point
> >   with implicit decimal position.
>
> What?  Nothing in the above paragraph makes sense, it only makes my brain hurt.

*If* the floating point is only an external representation there is no
problem. Otherwise coordinates (in memory) wouldn't fit in a wxPoint
which iirc was a design must for pcbnew (so I suppose it would be for
eeschema, too). Sorry if I wasn't clear but I actually use fixed point
way more than other number representations so I'm biased:P

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl