Re: About today bzr update

On 5/16/2012 9:58 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 05/16/2012 04:39 PM, Moses McKnight wrote:
On 05/16/2012 12:33 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
<snip>
(If all fixed, I can probably postpone that gcc install until I upgrade to newer Ubuntu in
the next 1 or 2 weeks.  4.6.2 seems to be commonly used now, and my Ubuntu Lucid system is
showing its whiskers.  Probably most of the bleeding on the new Ubuntu LTS is over now,
thinking safe to upgrade.)
I don't know if you've used Unity yet, but in case you don't like it I
recommend XFCE.  The only problem I'm having with 12.04 is that Gtk3
programs will randomly decide when I click in their window that I'm
dragging them with the mouse offset about half the screen width to the
left of the window.  Somewhat annoying.

Moses

Thanks Moses, that was very thoughtful.

No I have not used Unity yet.  Is there any possibility that I might like it?

I highly doubt you'll like Unity and GNOME 3 only tolerable with the optional extensions installed. The new desktop designs sure look pretty but why the designers think that cascading menus are such a bad idea is beyond me. I fail to see how clicking through multiple pages of icons to open a program is superior to a cascading menu but maybe I'm just getting intolerant in my old age :)

Wayne

Apparently Cinnamon is another option, from some other debian distro, or ubuntu derivative...