Re: Clearance and rounding in kicad-nano

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo
<miguelangel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think we all know that freerouter is much better on this, but I think
> Lorenzo is
> asking about basic routing capabilities (like not letting us put tracks
> breaking clearance
> rules...)
>
> at least we should find the way to keep the basic routing capabilities in
> pcbnew. Having
> awesome ones (like freerouter) might need funding or miracles... I agree on
> that.
>
> We have a big dependency to a closed software because of freerouter. If
> Alfon shuts
> it down at any time, for any reason, and we have lost "our basic
> skills..." then you couldn't route.

This dependency on someones closed source project, and closed source
file formats is what is very bad in the end.
I was looking at the some Nasa project site lately where people
rebuild http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
Someone made schematics and layouts available about a decade ago
(which he made using some closed source DOS program)
All this is now almost lost forever since it can not be
used/printed/edited anymore.
If this java genius gets run over by a truck, his creation is lost forever.

What would it take (money, statue ?) to open up the freerouter?

The world would be better and innovation would he helped by opening up
the project.

Just a few cents of input,
Edwin

PS. the example was just one of many that I encountered in the world
of PCB and electronics.
PPS. I know that work must be compensated for, you can not live on
water, sun and soil unless you are a small flower