Fwd: Panelization of PCB

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Edwin van den Oetelaar <oetelaar.automatisering@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Kicad-developers] Panelization of PCB
To: Richard <r-haldemann@xxxxxx>

Hello Richard,
Most (all) PCB fabricators do the panalisation themselves.
The reason is that the PCB needs work to make it production ready.
All kinds of changes (most not visible) will be done on the board
before it ready. (shaving/space correction, etch correction and more)
After that, the step and repeat info from the original board is used
(x and y distance and number of steps) to do the step and repeat
again.
As far as I know most software does not even duplicate the data but
uses a reference to the first board to generate the final data for
photoplotting and drilling.
So no data is duplicated. The single boards can be automatically
numbered in the process. Drill/etch coupons added etc.
They use most often Genesis-2000 from Orbotech or Ucam from
(Ucamco/Barco-ETS) some others exist too.
I have worked with both.
So I suggest to let the producer of the PCB do the S&R for you using
the specs you give him.
Greetings,
Edwin