Re: Realistic 3D Rendering

2012/7/31 Lorenzo Marcantonio <l.marcantonio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:56:22PM +0200, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo wrote:
> > It's quite nice, it's a pity that Sketchup (even if it's freeware) it's a
> > closed tool, it would be great to get that kind of renderings (and later
> > integration to MCAD), something based in FreeCAD (even it's not quite
> > mature yet) would be awesome, they are quite python-based, it seems like
> it
> > will be a great tool to work with KiCad at some time.
>
> Why not piping the stuff to something like POV instead of sketchup since
> you
> only need a static view?
>
> Yes, this is an option,  POV pcb rendering doesn't look that well yet, but
it could.

> I'm curious, somebody please tell me the 'subtle details' you can see in
> the 3d view that you could not from the top down...

1) Silkscreen vs Soldermask

2) Silkscreen alignment can be seen much more clearly

3) You can add your mechanical case and check if all the connectors match
their holes and if all the holes in the PCB match the screw supports
correctly.

> As for the 'client approval' there could be some use (but they aren't
> usually interested in the board:P), for mechanical integration that detail
> level is simply not useful (what does the MCAD do with the track shapes?:P)
> and the format is simply not useful... (cries of 'we want STEP' from the
> outside)

It's not the final solution, but it's a step, you can import STL into
sketchup, or export STEP (with the right plugins).

The ideal would be plain step exporting from a pcb file, but we will have
that sooner or later :-)

> As usual, maybe its our workflow or product type but it's only eyecandy
> for me :D Also doing 3d models for each package is a real PITA!

    I think I've never made a 3D model for a component, but I use them a
lot.

    In other packages I import all the STEP files that the component part
manufacturers provide. It really helps to check your silkscreen overlay,
and to check you footprint holes :-), It also helps to check if your
connectors are colliding to any surrounding element.

   Once you start, you get somehow "addicted" to its benefits.