Subject: Re: KiCad suggestion
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 16:55:47 -0400
From: Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Scott Alcock <essaysoftware@xxxxxxxxx>

On 10/7/2012 2:36 PM, Scott Alcock wrote:

Wayne,

I have a suggestion for KiCad's PCB layout software. Would it be
possible to add an
image to a layer in the PCB layout, something like a PNG, with independent X
and Y scaling.

When you say add an image to a layer do you mean layers that get
translated into gerbers for photoplotting o or are talking about one of
the documentation layers that are typically used for notes?  The reason
I ask is that it would be difficult to translate an image into an
accurate representation as a gerber file.  There is already a utility
Bitmap2Component that converts images to schematic or board syntax.
Have you given that a try?

This would be very helpful for drawing board outlines to fit cases with
odd geometries.

I already have defined images in s-expression format for the next
version of the schematic file format so it shouldn't be terribly
difficult to use the same syntax in the board file.  However, there is
currently no code in Pcbnew to render or to add images.  Adding the
image file syntax to the board file is fairly trivial.  Adding the image
rendering and editing code may take a while.

Just a though.

I think it's a reasonable idea and if memory serves this may have been
discussed on the developers list in the past.  I will forward the
suggestion to the developer mailing list for input since I'm not the
only developer this change would effect.

Lastly, KiCad has come a long way in the last few years, let the group
know it's excellent !

Thanks!  Will do.  We keep chipping away at it.  KiCad keeps getting
better and better.

Best Regards,

Wayne

Sincerely,