Re: Idea for getting funds for KiCad,

On 11/21/2012 02:38 PM, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo wrote:

> It could be a "brain fart", but I wanted to share it before I forget, and see what you think,
>
>     Ok, just imagine, that we arranged a server for KiCad, that had a pool of PCB manufacturers, great,
> then users in KiCad, at "manufacture time" could have access to this pool right from KiCad, easily, instantly quoted
> on parameters provided by each manufacturer. Nice feature for all users.
>
>     Then, how to monetize it, and gather funds to keep KiCad getting developed where we want it:
>
>       Option A): charge a % from the manufacturer, harder to control, as we must know that the transaction happened correctly.

Have a legally binding contract with the manufacturer, where the
manufacturer is required to report. Actually, this is very easy to
control, since the penalties for misreporting are set very high, and
we'd only need one case that was not reported.

>       Option B): let the PCB manufacturer providers pay monthly (auction style) to go up in the list.

And end up providing a preferential "to the highest bidder"? This is
exactly what Google product search does, and is contrary to the libre
principles on which Kicad was founded. This just ends up hurting our
users, as manufacturers who charge more, will have more leeway in upping
their bids. End result: more expensive manufacturers are closer to the
top of the list.

>       What do you think about it?

First of all, we need a legal non-profit entity that can collect and
manage these funds, and that can make sure these funds do end up being
used for kicad development, and not anything else. People get nasty when
it comes to money. Without a "Kicad Foundation" [replace with your
favorite name], there's no guarantee the funds will not be misused, and
that will dissuade myself, and many other users from "contributing"
financially in this manner.

Alex