Re: Idea for getting funds for KiCad,

On 22 November 2012 08:30, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo <miguelangel@xxxxxxx>wrote:

> >       Option A): charge a % from the manufacturer, harder to control, as
> we must know that the transaction happened correctly.
>
>>  >
>> Have a legally binding contract with the manufacturer, where the
>> manufacturer is required to report. Actually, this is very easy to
>> control, since the penalties for misreporting are set very high, and
>> we'd only need one case that was not reported.
>>

> For example, yes, or be their "paypal" IPN (instant payment notification)
> for the ones who accept paypal, so the payment gateway notify our server
> that the payment was done (on the PCB manufacturer) , and we notify the PCB
> manufacturer that paypal said "paid". (real brain fart warning)
>

>> >       Option B): let the PCB manufacturer providers pay monthly
>> (auction style) to go up in the list.
>> >
>> And end up providing a preferential "to the highest bidder"? This is
>> exactly what Google product search does, and is contrary to the libre
>> principles on which Kicad was founded. This just ends up hurting our
>> users, as manufacturers who charge more, will have more leeway in upping
>> their bids. End result: more expensive manufacturers are closer to the
>> top of the list.
>>

> Yes, I had that feeling, but you meditated it more.
>
> Ideally users could order by: location, cost, lead time, quality (user
> comments) , alphabetically, ....

If the user has a window with ten suppliers and *sees* the cost, time,
location, etc, for each one of them, then it would be easy to pick one, and
we would guarantee the user's freedom. Still, this doesn't invalidate the
two or three manufacturers in the top of the list being marked as
«recommended» (?), something similar to a sponsored result.
I believe the manufacturers will be interested in getting to this list.
Just the fact of being present, I'm pretty sure it will bring them more
costumers.

>> >       What do you think about it?
>> >
>> First of all, we need a legal non-profit entity that can collect and
>> manage these funds, and that can make sure these funds do end up being
>> used for kicad development, and not anything else. People get nasty when
>> it comes to money. Without a "Kicad Foundation" [replace with your
>> favorite name], there's no guarantee the funds will not be misused, and
>> that will dissuade myself, and many other users from "contributing"
>> financially in this manner.
>>

> Yes, I've thought about this many times, but that needs at least a lead
> willing to take care of the fundation (probably full time). The problem of
> this (as I see it, probably other ways exist), is that KiCad is not so wide
> as "gimp", "linux" , or other opensource products with big enough user
> base, the one/s that lead and keep the foundation need to be sure that they
> will have food income for themselves while taking care of KiCad.
>
> Any example on some "cheaply" maintained foundation for opensource
> anywhere? (I mean, just taking reasonable time from it's board). I agree
> it's something we must consider.
>
> Other option would be to be under some «larger umbrella». At the initial
stage, probably KiCAD Foundation could be associated with some other larger
foundation, or try to share some of the «maintenance costs» (personnel,
infrastructure, ...) with an existing foundation. There are plenty, in the
OSS world.

--
Tomé Veríssimo
e-mail: tomeverissimo@xxxxxxxxx